Husband and I are currently on quite a tight budget. As I’m hoping to purchase a vacation in the next few weeks (Not to mention planning at least two more before the summer is over), I’m doing my best to spend even less money. This has me really marveling over how far the littlest things go. I think being short on funds makes it easier for me to seek out and enjoy the simplest of stuff, and realize that sometimes, those are the best and most smile-inducing of things after all.
Some simple pleasures I’m enjoying lately:
- Iced coffee and bargain books
- Smiles from strangers
- Becca and I eating brunch and drinking $1 mimosas and bellinis outside at Taverna Austin. Chatting with somebody I love whilst enjoying a beautiful day downtown…I couldn’t think of a more perfect Saturday. Oh. Not to mention, Miss Becca surprised me by paying for my meal and calling it a late birthday present. Never mind that she had brought me a Vanilla Bean cheesecake to class just days before. I feel the need to use a hash tag at this moment even though I still dislike Twitter. Ahem. #Spoiled.
- Uncle’s 60th surprise birthday party, spent at a beautiful bed and breakfast on acres of land. What followed was a night of karaoke,a little too much drinking, arm-wrestling matches,teary-eyed speeches, trampoline jumping and the sharing of many embarrassing family stories. I may be a Boudreaux now, but no doubt about it, I will also always, always be a Cirotto.
- Tanning in my bra in my backyard. This indulgence of mine reminds me of how wonderful it is to be a house-owner. You know. Being able to have super classy moments like this in private.
- Being inspired by my fellow blogger and friend Deviant Tart to make a chilled avocado soup recipe. It came out delicious, though I must confess, much less healthy than her’s.
- My husband. Because he’s sweet and funny and cute and so good to me. Being quite in love with him is also a plus.
- Free time to read and sleep and cuddle and do absolutely nothing, if I so choose.
- My best friend and I playing Draw Something together. It’s a great way to connect and giggle whilst being hundreds of miles apart. Here’s my favorite of her’s so far (She even made sure her drawing of me was showing its stomach. She knows me too well.) :
- Discovering and obsessing over new music. Have you heard the cheesy and fun, “Call me Maybe”? It’s cute and all, but does Carly Rae Jepsen absolutely no justice. It’s hard for me to tell others about the music I love, because lyrics are pretty sacred to me. I treat them like my journal that I no longer keep. But I somehow managed to tell my two best girl-friends and now I will tell you. I have three steps. 1. Go to YouTube. 2. Search Carly Rae Jepsen (‘Bucket’, ‘Tug of War’ and ‘Curiosity’ are my current favorites, but they’re all amazing.) 3. Proceed to fall in love. 4. Thank me later.
- Catching up with friends (One who now lives in New Mexico. Poop! ((Poop is our word. We use it for both good and bad and happy and sad things. Her being so far way from me=Bad and Sad.))) whom I haven’t seen in far too long.
- Easter with the family. Cute kitchen appliance gifts from my mom and dad sending me home with a bag of food from the kitchen pantry.
- Life. I truly do believe that it is what you make it, and gosh darn-it, I am doing my very best everyday to make it as worthwhile as possible.