I’ve never been a big pancake fan. A few bites in, and I’m bored. But crepes? Crepes I adore. Their thin texture paired with their versatility makes for a winning combo in my book/blog.
Despite this founded adoration, my experiences with crepes have been few and far between. In fact, until yesterday, I had never tasted a savory crepe. I know, I know, such a food blogger fail. Luckily, my tasting with Vivel Coffee and Crepes changed all of that and opened my eyes (and mouth) to the beauty and variety of LIFE.
But, really. The word Vivel translates from Latin to mean “Life.” Owner Ali noted that he thought of this name during construction. While looking at the hills and greenery that Vivel is surrounded by in Lakeway, Texas, the name just seemed to fit. And it does.
Because, y’all, these crepes gave me life.
Ali spoiled me with all of the crepes. Like, all of them. I could have taken a crepe bath, and the bathtub would have been full. Of crepes. It was magical. Before I get into serenading my favorites, let me tell you a little story about meeting Ali. As we were emailing back and forth, I assumed Ali was a female. Hear me out. I SWEAR, somewhere I read that his name was “Ally” and not “Ali.” Obviously, the pronunciation in my head was completely wrong. When I met Ali the man in person, I was confused enough to stumble with my words and feel the need to explain myself. “I um. Sorry. Thought you were going to be a woman.” So yes, my first words to this kind gentleman were that I thought he was going to be the opposite gender. Typical smooth talking Christina, y’all.
Back to crepe talk now. Ali the man spoiled the heck out of me with these beautiful creations. A gorgeous combination of French, Italian and Mediterranean, I found myself swooning over each and every one. It’s going to be tough, but I’ve narrowed it down to my top five so that this blog doesn’t turn into a short novel. Ahem.
- Smoked Salmon Crepe – This was my one request at Vivel’s because I have a slight obsession with smoked salmon with all the fixin’s. It was everything I dreamed of and so much more. The lightness of the crepe paired with the decadence of the cream cheese, capers and salmon was DIVINE. I’m salivating just writing this. Sexy, I know.
- Citronade – Are y’all ready for this?! Lemon reduction, brown sugar, whipped butter and vanilla gelato. I know, right?! Butter and lemon are two of my favorite things in life, and this pairing was pure happiness. The creamy, homemade gelato perfected an already heavenly masterpiece.
- Cannelle – This is simplicity at its finest and most delicious. Cinnamon, brown sugar and whipped butter. That’s all it took to leave me with a crepe crush.
- The Marrakesh Express – I’m a firm believer in putting an egg on it. This crepe did just that sunny side up, and added some shredded spiced lamb, cumin and extra virgin olive oil. That runny egg matched with the tender lamb and the light, airy crepe? Words cannot even express the feelings of elation I felt biting into this one.
- The Nutty Nutella – Okay, so it’s hard to go wrong with Nutella but Vivel somehow made it taste more right than ever before. The walnuts and toasted almonds made the Nutella feel perfectly at home in the crepe paradise that it so rightly deserves.
Special mention also goes out to the Vivel Latte with the lavender infused milk. I knew by my second sip of this strong and slightly sweet concoction that I had found myself a new beloved latte.
Vivel know how to put life into crepes, you guys. Every single bite of every single crepe that I bit into was exquisite. Ali is a worldwide and longtime expert of the food industry, and this is evident in the mesmerizing combinations of flavors he so masterfully creates. Forget pancakes, guys. Vivel’s will have you exclaiming ‘Holy Crepe!’ in no time.